It amazes me of how much havoc Murphy’s Law can wreak in a person’s life. Not just that, it also amazes me about how people react to the situations that they are left in once Murphy’s Law leaves them with the debris of their perfectly scheduled lives. Let’s take, for example, a situation that I was in recently. College cultural events, as most of you know, are in full swing with some of the biggest of those events in the city getting most of the media’s attention. Like every budding performer (get ready for the clichés) I too had a dream of going on stage and dancing to my heart’s content (I told you there would be clichés). Unfortunately, waiting a year out and craving for this opportunity wasn’t good enough for the Gods ruling over my fate.
Now rather than lament about how huge a chance this was and how my spirit is crushed and yada yada yada, I’d prefer to concentrate on the silver lining clinging to the contours of this sullen, woe-begotten cloud. What do you say to someone who has lied to you, when they say, with all their heartfelt guilt, to not “feel bad”? How would you TRULY react to someone who has cut you from the very team that you were hoping would help you go on and live out a dream?
Here’s how I deal with it. I smile and don’t utter a word, while my mind is hurling colourful abuses at them with a few indignant vows of revenge, poignantly marking out their very particular flaws and faults and then consoling myself with an “Oh, never mind. That’s the level of maturity that they will always live with, and there’s nothing you can do about it. Some people are cursed to live in their shallow little pools of self-contentment”. Call me spiteful, call me crude, call me whatever you want. Since all of these thoughts remain in the privacy of my own head, and now, a minuscule speck of that sentiment on this post, I believe that everyone involved is left happy. The person responsible for letting Murphy’s Law run its course through my life, is content thinking that I've defeatedly, accepted my fate, while I am content knowing to whom those colourful strings of words frolicking through my mind were intended towards, unbeknownst to them. And we all live happily ever after, leaving everyone none the wiser.
Now rather than lament about how huge a chance this was and how my spirit is crushed and yada yada yada, I’d prefer to concentrate on the silver lining clinging to the contours of this sullen, woe-begotten cloud. What do you say to someone who has lied to you, when they say, with all their heartfelt guilt, to not “feel bad”? How would you TRULY react to someone who has cut you from the very team that you were hoping would help you go on and live out a dream?
Here’s how I deal with it. I smile and don’t utter a word, while my mind is hurling colourful abuses at them with a few indignant vows of revenge, poignantly marking out their very particular flaws and faults and then consoling myself with an “Oh, never mind. That’s the level of maturity that they will always live with, and there’s nothing you can do about it. Some people are cursed to live in their shallow little pools of self-contentment”. Call me spiteful, call me crude, call me whatever you want. Since all of these thoughts remain in the privacy of my own head, and now, a minuscule speck of that sentiment on this post, I believe that everyone involved is left happy. The person responsible for letting Murphy’s Law run its course through my life, is content thinking that I've defeatedly, accepted my fate, while I am content knowing to whom those colourful strings of words frolicking through my mind were intended towards, unbeknownst to them. And we all live happily ever after, leaving everyone none the wiser.
Listen. I enjoyed this. :D
ReplyDeleteDrama in your life. Talk to me.
:P... Nothing much to talk about anymore, really. :D
ReplyDeleteBut yes, drama in life feels nice.